It’s hard to know what the diet is best for fertility is, or even where to start. So I’ve put together a list of the 8 top things you need to know about carbs and fertility if you’re TTC.
1. Make sure you’re not eating too much carbs, particularly if this means missing out on healthy fats
2. But a keto style diet is likely to harm your egg health so should be avoided (especially in the 3 months prior to conception)
3. Choose whole grains over refined carbs as often as possible
4. Think about how your meals, snacks and drinks impact your blood sugar levels
5. Try to keep the carb portion moderate and include fat, protein, acid and fibre in all meals and snacks
6. Include a few serves of fruit per day and try to vary the fruit you choose as much as you can
7. High intake of added sugar can harm your eggs and your ability to ovulate, so keep your sugar intake in check
8. Sugary drinks, especially soft drinks, should be saved for just every once in a while
If you’re looking for more ways to improve your fertility, check out our post on fat and fertility — skip down to the TLDR section for my 7 top tips!
back to top
I help people trying to conceive to ovulate, so they can get pregnant faster.
Tweaking your diet *before* you get pregnant not only improves your cycles and fertility, it also ensures that you have the healthiest pregnancy possible.